America’s Most Literate Cities:
For the second year in a row, Washington DC ranks as America’s most literate city according to the annual Central Connecticut State University study.
Atlanta places fourth, San Francisco comes in at number nine, and NYC and LA don’t make the to ten cut, listed in positions 22 and 59(!) respectively, out of the 75 cities included.
Good got in touch with CCSU president Dr. John Miller, who crunched the numbers and discovered a correlation between the wealthiest and most literate cities, and it’s not what you might expect.
And, of course, the LA Times wants to set a few things straight: “As in years past, Los Angeles didn’t fare well. Why should we? We’ve only got the largest book festival in the country, vibrant independent booksellers, major univeristies, a fantastic public library system, highly literate public radio shows…. Sigh.” I can’t help but agree with them… I mean, how is it even possible that the home of the Los Angeles Review of Books is so far down on this list?
20 Notes/ Hide
- lifeislikeabagofdoritos reblogged this from millionsmillions
- the-pink-grl likes this
- crayolaclouds13 reblogged this from berealforyourself
- crayolaclouds13 likes this
- berealforyourself reblogged this from gaspingforgoodness
- berealforyourself likes this
- mollitudo likes this
- mythologyofblue likes this
- winterpages likes this
- mydeadparents likes this
- brainbloom likes this
- ech-is-sketchin likes this
- hediyedemeti likes this
- purns likes this
- iamlovediamblessed likes this
- gaspingforgoodness reblogged this from millionsmillions and added:
- millionsmillions posted this