Sandy on Tumblr: Beating the Hurricane Blues
The disaster wrought by Hurricane Sandy on the East Coast dwarfs anything most of us have ever experienced. But the response to that disaster from the community has humbled and gratified those of us who work at Tumblr. We want to recognize a few of the people and organizations doing amazing work related to Sandy, and we want to make it clear the credit for that work rests entirely with them. Obviously this is just a tiny fraction of the massively diverse and positive response; for more, be sure to check out the Hurricane Sandy tag.
Cool Tumblrs Doing Cool Things
• Dr. Dave Ores - A doctor on Manhattan’s Lower East Side providing free medical services to his stormstruck neighbors, among other humanitarian acts.
• The Moosehead - Photographer Nathan Hoang has some amazing pre-/during/post-Sandy shots.
• Is Twitter Wrong? - A mini-Snopes that’s done a lot of yeoman work disproving various fake “news” photos of menacing weather, storm damage, etc.
• Momofuku - The NYC restaurant powerhouse is hosting three events today in various locations to benefit the Red Cross.
• Pith - The prolific Jesse Chan-Norris has produced some of the most immediate and amazing storm photos to come out of New York, bar none. If you’ve been on Tumblr this week, it’s almost guaranteed you’ve seen his work.
• Change.org - Publicizing services and circulating a number of petitions and initiatives to benefit those affected by Hurricane Sandy.
• Humans of New York - Our pal Brandon Stanton is of course out on the streets photographing his fellow New Yorkers with the usual aplomb and care.
• Jen Bekman Projects - Donating proceeds from particular artworks to hurricane relief.
• Shapeways - The 3D printing company blogged their efforts of getting back together post-Sandy.
• Casey Neistat - Photog and avid biker, combining both passions for some unique photos & video of Sandy in New York.
• Scott’s Pizza Journal - Very Important: Where can you still get a slice in NYC?
Hurricane Sandy Tumblrs
• Working from Home During Sandy - The staff of Bonobos doing business outside the office.
• Hurricane Sandy Blog - A dedicated Tumblr from the Virginia Department of Emergency Management.
• Sandy Hates Books - Cleanup and fundraising for the Sandy-damaged powerHouse Arena bookstore and event space.
• Surviving Hurricane Sandy in Zone A - Two guys, their cameras, and a typical neverending quest for battery charging, food, and/or beer.
• Governor - Rebuilding a restaurant in New York’s DUMBO neighborhood savaged by Sandy.
• Lydia Callis’ Face for NYC Mayor - Devoted to the adoration of Mayor Mike Bloomberg’s on-camera American Sign Language interpreter (see also).
• WNYC’s Transmitter - Like the radio station, WNYC’s Tumblr has stayed up thanks to listener/reader support. They’ve turned in excellent coverage and service alerts before, during, and after the storm.
• The Atlantic - Tying in hurricane stories from the Atlantic’s main site, plus the Atlantic Wire and the Tumblr community generally.
• The Daily - News Corp’s iPad mag putting some of their best storm content on their Tumblr as well.
• Gawker - The flagship of Gawker Media (and its various siblings) moved backup sites to Tumblr after their datacenter was flooded, and their storm coverage and editorial style are a natural fit.
• BuzzFeed - Also temporarily housing their newsgathering on Tumblr post-flood, BF farmed out a wide range of coverage and collection via their subject-oriented Tumblrs as well as their staffers’ blogs — notably Scott Lamb, Ryan Broderick, and Andrew Kaczynski.
• Mother Jones - Mixing in activism and local storm response with national news and politics
This tuft that thrives on saline nothingness,
Inverted octopus with heavenward arms
Thrust parching from a palm-bole hard by the cove⎯
A bird almost⎯of almost bird alarms,
Is pulmonary to the wind that jars
Its tentacles, horrific in their lurch.
The lizard’s throat, held bloated for a fly,
Balloons but warily from this throbbing perch.
The needles and hack-saws of cactus bleed
A milk of earth when stricken off the stalk;
But this,⎯defenseless, thornless, sheds no blood,
Almost no shadow⎯but the air’s thin talk.
Angelic Dynamo! Ventriloquist of the Blue!
While beachward creeps the shark-swept Spanish Main
By what conjunctions do the winds appoint
Its apotheosis, at last⎯the hurricane!